Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The decline of Nashville's mass transit.




As a Nashvillian who relies on the Metro Transit Authority to get to and from my jobs, I feel some responsibilty to preserve this important service in my city. Yesterday I attended a meeting led by a representative of the MTA, explaing to the public that city budget cuts leave it short about 2.9 million dollars. To get around this the MTA is considering several options:

Eliminating Service on the weekends.
Eliminating Service at night.
Eliminate about a third of the routes.

I ride the night bus home on weeknights. I ride the bus on Saturdays and Sundays as well. It is PACKED. If these bus routes are cut, that means all those people will be unable to get to and from work.

This budget cut comes at a time when more people are relying on public transportation than ever. From 2004 to 2006, the number of people who used Nashville's MTA increased by about 250,000 people. From 2006 to 2008, the MTA gained 1,500,000 new riders. That brings current ridership up to 8.5 million people.

Most cities have a tax that funds their MTA, giving it a steady source of income. Nashville does not. Only about half of the MTA's income comes from the city, and only twelve percent is from is from the state. These numbers are far lower than the national norm for busses.

Most of the city council members head wealthy families and the MTA does not appear to directly concern them. About 80% of the people that ride the bus come from low income families. When the budget was being drawn up, most of the concern went to

a) Education
b) Police protection
c) Fire protection

Most of the people affected by this change ARE NOT EVEN AWARE OF IT.

If you live in Nashville, please come to the Public Hearing on June 3 at 6:30pm at City Hall. Your very presence will weigh on the minds of those in authority.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will not acquiesce in on it. I think nice post. Particularly the title-deed attracted me to study the unscathed story.

Anonymous said...

Genial dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.

Anonymous said...

hi there people. I'm really into shoes and I was searching allowing for regarding that exact make. The prices as regards the velcros were approximately 170 bucks on every page. But definitively I bring about this locate selling them someone is concerned half price. I absolutely like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase those. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Anonymous said...

hi people. I'm actually into shoes and I had been searching for the sake of that singular brand. The prices seeking the shoes were around 180 pounds everwhere. But for all I bring about this location selling them as a remedy for half price. I really want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order these. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

hi dudes. I'm honestly into shoes and I had been digging for that particular make. The prices due to the fact that the sneakers are approximately 250 bucks on every page. But completely I set this locate selling them for the benefit of half price. I in reality like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order these. what do you think?