Saturday, February 16, 2008

Linux has no Blue Screen of Death--it just dies


Wednesday night I had a philosophy paper to finish before my 8am morning class. Which made it the perfect time to erase my hard drive. Yes, even the mighty Linux is not impossible to crash.

***Skip this part if you don't want nerdy techno-babble***

I had opened up Linux's automatic update system to import plugins from the multiverse spectrum, which includes updates outside Linux's approved web servers and programs list. This gives a lot more updates, but it means not all of them are compatible. The computer froze up while compiling one of these. When I rebooted, my kernel was totally gone. In tears, I called up Vanderbilt's ITS help desk, only to find out that no one there knows how to handle Linux. I have nothing.

***Okay you can start reading again***

I was not even able to start the paper until after 3am. Luckily I had my old Ubuntu live CD in my desk drawer, which means I wrote my paper on about 650 megs of Operating System and entirely in gedit. I finished the paper despite all this 'cause I'm a trooper like that. My professor was very understanding when I explained the reason the font was Courier New instead of Times New Roman and there were no headers, footers or citations. I was planning on going to the Apple store this weekend and buying Leopard so I would have a plan B if Linux flakes out again, but my paycheck was late so I'm still running my laptop on a Live disk (gross). I'm also refusing to reinstall the same distribution I had before, which, puts me in a precarious position, system-wise.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, were you really in tears? It's okay if you weren't. I still have plenty of sympathy. Congratulations on finishing your paper, though... in that situation, I think I would have just collapsed into a collection of very distraught Sarah-parts.

Also, I love the comic, especially if the jellybeans are licorice.

Chaos Publications said...

I definitely was in tears. The paper was about a third of our grade, so I knew I didn't really have time for a total mental collapse. I think I gave myself half an hour or so before I decided what had to be done.

Also, the Jelly Beans are pear-flavored. But they're jelly beans, so they going to be good no matter what

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.